The United States Postal Service’s Click-N-Ship service allows customers to purchase shipping labels and pay for postage online. It provides a convenient way to ship packages without having to visit the post office. However, sometimes the Click-N-Ship service may encounter errors or stop working properly. Here is a comprehensive guide on troubleshooting issues with USPS Click and Ship and solutions to get it working again.
Overview of USPS Click-N-Ship
USPS Click-N-Ship is an online shipping service offered by the United States Postal Service (USPS). It allows customers to:
- Purchase and print shipping labels from a personal computer
- Pay for postage using a USPS account, credit/debit card or PayPal
- Schedule a package pickup
- Buy extra services like insurance, signature confirmation etc.
- Track packages and get delivery status updates
- Access USPS shipping discounts on priority mail and priority mail express
The service is useful for both regular shippers and e-commerce sellers to automate shipping and avoid trips to the post office.
To use Click-N-Ship, customers need to first create an account on usps.com. Then they can use the service to generate shipping labels by entering package details like address, weight, dimensions etc. The labels can be printed directly on a printer or saved as PDFs.
Common USPS Click and Ship errors
Though Click-N-Ship makes the shipping process easier, sometimes users may encounter issues that prevent creating or printing labels. Some common problems include:
1. Transaction declined error
This is one of the most common problems seen when trying to pay for postage on Click-N-Ship. The error message says “Transaction has been declined” and does not allow generating the label.
2. Unable to print label error
After creating a label and proceeding to the print option, users may get an error saying “Unable to print label”.
Instead of the label preview, a message like “Label preview unavailable” may show up preventing the user from printing it.
4. Account login failures
Sometimes repeated attempts to login to the USPS account results in error messages like “Error #100” or account login failures.
5. Payment failures
Attempts to pay using a credit/debit card or Paypal account may fail on Click-N-Ship with payment errors.
6. USPS Click-N-Ship site down
In some cases, the Click-N-Ship tool becomes totally unavailable due to USPS website issues. The page may not load at all.
These are some common Click-N-Ship problems faced by users that prevent completion of the shipping process. But there are ways to troubleshoot and resolve many of these errors.
Troubleshooting tips for USPS Click and Ship not working
If you encounter issues with Click-N-Ship, try these troubleshooting steps before contacting USPS customer service:
1. Check USPS system status
First visit the USPS system status page at usps.com/status to see if there are any reported outages. If the Click-N-Ship service shows a disruption, it’s likely a temporary issue that should resolve after some time.
2. Retry after sometime
In many cases, the errors with Click-N-Ship are intermittent glitches. Trying again after 15-20 minutes frequently resolves the problem.
3. Use different browser
Click-N-Ship relies heavily on your web browser. Try using a different browser like Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc if one browser does not work. Also update your browser to the latest version.
Clearing the browser history and website data/files can eliminate errors caused by corrupt files or temporary issues.
5. Check internet connection
Make sure you have a stable internet connection without any disruptions that could prevent accessing the USPS website and Click-N-Ship tool.
6. Allow popups
The label preview and print dialogue boxes open as popups. Enable popups in the browser settings for usps.com.
7. Disable browser extensions
Some ad blockers, privacy extensions etc could block parts of the Click-N-Ship site. Disable other browser add-ons and try again.
8. Try different device
It may help to switch to another computer or mobile device and check if you can print labels there.
9. Use latest PDF reader
Update your PDF reader software (Adobe Acrobat) to the newest version. Older versions can cause label preview issues.
10. Contact USPS
If the problem persists after trying these steps, you can contact USPS customer service online or call them. Have your USPS account info, order details and error screenshot ready.
Solutions for specific USPS Click-N-Ship errors
In addition to the general troubleshooting tips, here are some ways to resolve specific common Click-N-Ship errors:
For transaction declined error:
- Confirm billing address is correct on the credit/debit card or Paypal account
- Contact bank to allow international transactions if paying for international shipping
- Use a different card or payment method
- Add funds to USPS account balance instead of direct card payment
- Try payment after sometime in case of a temporary glitch
For printing and preview errors:
- Allow popups from usps.com and disable any popup blockers
- Check if label preview opens in a new tab and enable tab viewing
- Update PDF reader and make it the default for label file type
- Try different browser or device for printing
- Copy label PDF to another computer to print if unable to print from current device
For login and access failures:
- Reset account password in case it is entered incorrectly
- Check forget username option on login page to retrieve correct details
- Clear browser cookies and cache related to USPS website
- Try private/incognito browsing mode to avoid any outside conflicts
For payment failures:
- Use a different card or payment method like Paypal
- Contact bank to allow postal service transactions on card
- Add funds to USPS account instead of direct card payment
- Confirm billing details are correct if payment is declined
- Retry payment after sometime
If USPS Click-N-Ship is down:
- Check usps.com status page for any service issues
- Try after sometime as most outages are temporary
- Use USPS mobile app which has separate servers
- Generate labels from third party software like eBay, Etsy or Shippo
- Visit post office if Click-N-Ship down for long time
Preventing future issues with Click-N-Ship
To avoid frequent problems in the future while using USPS Click-N-Ship, follow these tips:
- Update web browser and PDF reader to latest versions
- Allow popups from usps.com and enable tabs
- Clear browser cache/history periodically
- Disable any browser extensions that may conflict
- Keep multiple payment methods added as backup
- Ensure billing details are correct on payment methods
- Setup email or text alerts for USPS notifications
- Have backup shipping software like Shippo or Pitney Bowes
- Bookmark USPS status page to check for outages
- Contact USPS support to add trusted computer if problems recur
FAQs about troubleshooting USPS Click-N-Ship
Why is my credit card declined on Click-N-Ship?
The most common reasons for declined credit card transactions are incorrect billing address, expired card, exceeding credit limit, bank blocks for suspected fraud, and service blocks on international shipping charges. Contact the bank to allow postal service transactions.
How can I print shipping label if Click-N-Ship shows preview error?
Try enabling popups and using a different browser if one browser does not show label preview. You can also copy the label PDF file to another device to print if you consistently face issues printing from the current computer.
What should I do if Click-N-Ship site is completely down?
You can use the USPS mobile app, visit the post office directly, or use another shipping software like eBay, Etsy or third party tools like Shippo. Also check the USPS system status page for any service issues.
Why does my Click-N-Ship payment fail even though my card is valid?
Payment failures can happen due to billing address mismatches, service blocks by bank, exceeding credit limit temporarily, or USPS site glitches. Trying another card or method like Paypal or adding funds to USPS account can help resolve payment errors.
I keep getting login errors on Click-N-Ship. How do I access my account?
Forgotten passwords or incorrect usernames are common login issues. Use the forgot password option to reset your password. You can also retrieve username via forget username option. Clearing browser history may also help resolve persistent login problems.
How do I print Click-N-Ship label if I get preview error?
Try allowing popups, using a different browser, updating your PDF reader software or copying the label file to another device for printing. Disable any extensions that may block previews. Ensure your browser has permission to access printer.
Can I still ship packages if I’m unable to use Click-N-Ship temporarily?
Yes, you have several options even if Click-N-Ship is not working. You can use USPS mobile app, visit your local post office directly, generate labels through Etsy, eBay or other ecommerce platforms, or use third party shipping software like Shippo.
What is the best troubleshooting step when Click-N-Ship transactions are declined?
If your transactions are declined, first contact your bank to allow postal service merchants and ensure international transactions are enabled if shipping overseas. Adding funds directly to your USPS account, using PayPal or trying a different card can also help resolve declined transactions.
Why does Click-N-Ship not work on one device but works on another device?
Browser settings like popup blockers, privacy extensions and outdated software versions can cause issues on one device. Trying private browsing mode, allowing popups, updating browser and PDF reader is recommended. Clearing browser cache can also help.
USPS Click-N-Ship provides a valuable service to directly print shipping labels and pay for postage online. However, users may occasionally encounter issues that prevent generating or printing labels. Some common Click-N-Ship errors include transaction declined messages, login failures, payment issues and printing problems.
To troubleshoot, start by checking for USPS outages, trying different browsers and devices, updating software, clearing browser data, allowing popups and disabling extensions. For declined transactions, contact bank to remove blocks or add funds directly to USPS account. If Click-N-Ship remains down, use USPS mobile app, post office or third party shipping software instead. Following the tips in this guide can help resolve most problems with Click-N-Ship.