Having issues with your Onn Roku TV remote? Don’t panic. Remote controls can start malfunctioning for a variety of reasons, but there are a number of troubleshooting steps you can try yourself before replacing the remote or calling for service. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk through the top solutions for an unresponsive Onn Roku remote, whether it’s not connecting, experiencing button and pairing problems, or having battery and signal issues. With the right troubleshooting techniques, you can often get your Roku TV remote working again in no time.
Common Onn Roku Remote Problems and Troubleshooting Tips
Here are some of the most frequent problems with Onn Roku remotes, along with potential fixes to try:
Remote Not Connecting or Pairing to Onn Roku TV
- Check that the batteries are fresh and installed correctly in the remote. Faulty or low batteries are often the issue.
- Make sure you are within 25-30 feet operating range of the TV and there’s no obstruction between the remote and TV.
- Try manually initiating the pairing process through your TV’s settings menu. Refer to your manual for steps.
- A failed software update can cause connection issues. Check for and install updates on both TV and remote if available.
- As a last resort, you can factory reset your Roku TV to clear any glitches preventing pairing.
Remote Unresponsive or Buttons Not Working
- Check for dirt, sticky residue, or damage to the buttons causing them to malfunction. Clean gently with isopropyl alcohol.
- Ensure batteries are fresh and in working order. Replace batteries.
- Button contacts inside the remote can get worn down over time. You may need a replacement remote if cleaning doesn’t help.
- Update remote software in case the issue is a glitch.
Remote Signal Problems
- The IR sensor on your TV could be dusty or obstructed. Gently clean the IR receiver port.
- Make sure batteries are fresh and the remote has line-of-sight to the TV.
- Interference from sunlight or other electronics may disrupt the signal. Dim lighting and move devices away from TV.
- If above steps don’t improve things, the remote or sensor may need to be replaced.
Remote Not Pairing or Syncing After Roku TV Update
- After a TV system update, you may need to re-pair your remote. Initiate pairing mode through on-screen menus.
- If pairing fails, try power cycling the TV and remote. Unplug TV for 2 minutes.
- Factory reset your TV if you’re unable to pair the remote after multiple tries. This will clear up software issues.
- Make sure your remote is running the newest firmware. If not, update it.
With some basic troubleshooting techniques, you can fix many common Roku remote problems quickly. But for issues that persist, replacement remotes are readily available. Let’s look at some quick solutions for restoring function when your Onn Roku TV remote stops working properly.
7 Troubleshooting Steps for an Unresponsive Onn Roku TV Remote
Is your Onn Roku TV remote failing to respond when you press buttons? Before replacing the remote, try these handy troubleshooting steps to revive yours:
- Check batteries – Weak batteries are the most common culprit for unresponsive buttons. Install fresh batteries.
- Clean remote – Grime, sticky residue or damage to buttons can prevent function. Clean with isopropyl alcohol.
- Check for obstructions – Ensure there’s clear line-of-sight between remote and TV. Move objects out of the way.
- Re-pair remote – Follow TV menu steps to pair your specific remote model again from scratch.
- Update remote software – If the remote has firmware updates available, install for potential bug fixes.
- Factory reset the Roku TV – As a last resort, reset will clear any glitches preventing pairing and proper function.
- Replace batteries again – Try brand new batteries even if current ones seem fine. Low voltage can cause remote lag.
Following these 7 steps can get your uncommunicative Roku TV remote up and running again without the hassle or expense of replacement. But if you still can’t get things working after troubleshooting, replacement remotes are an easy fix.
Why Your Onn Roku TV Remote May Stop Working
There are a variety of reasons your Onn Roku TV remote can start malfunctioning. Here are some of the most common causes:
Faulty batteries – Weak, old or improperly installed batteries are the #1 cause of remote problems. Replace batteries or check fit.
Dirty or damaged buttons – Built-up grime, sticky substances and physical damage to buttons will prevent presses from registering.
Worn-out buttons – The interior contacts on remote buttons degrade over time. Eventually they stop making proper connections for presses.
Blocked sensor – Dust or objects blocking the infrared sensor on your TV prevents signal reception.
Pairing issues – Software glitches can cause remotes to lose pairing or fail to sync after TV updates. Re-pairing often fixes it.
Physical damage – Drops, spills or exposure to moisture can damage the remote’s internal components and circuitry.
Software bugs – Both remotes and TVs can have software issues affecting functionality. Updating firmware usually resolves them.
Signal interference – Strong lighting sources or other electronics blocking signals between remote and TV sensor.
When your Onn Roku remote starts exhibiting issues, inspect it carefully for any of the factors above and try appropriate troubleshooting steps before replacing the unit. With some simple fixes, you can often get your existing remote operational again.
Onn Roku TV Remote Not Connecting or Pairing? Fixes to Try
Few things are as frustrating as a Roku TV remote that refuses to pair or consistently connect to your set. Before giving up in despair, there are several troubleshooting techniques that can get your remote linking successfully again:
- Check that batteries are fresh and correctly installed. This solves many pairing failures.
- Power cycle the TV and remote by unplugging and leaving off for 2 minutes before restarting.
- Initiate a manual pairing or re-pairing process through your TV’s settings menus.
- Make sure the TV and remote have the latest firmware as updates can resolve connectivity bugs.
- With the TV off, hold down the pairing button on remote while powering on TV. Keep holding the button until TV indicates it’s paired.
- Remove then re-insert the batteries to reset the connection on Roku remotes that support this.
- As a last resort, factory reset your TV to clear any system glitches preventing pairing.
- If above steps don’t work, you likely need a replacement remote or possibly a new TV if hardware issues are preventing pairing.
With a bit of focused troubleshooting, you can normally resurrect a connection between your Onn Roku TV and its unpaired remote. Follow the tips above to avoid the hassle and cost of replacing a perfectly good remote due to software gremlins.
Troubleshooting Onn Roku Remote Battery and Power Issues
Between heavy usage and infrequent battery changes, Roku TV remote batteries often end up dying at the worst times. Here are some troubleshooting tips for power-related problems:
- If remote is unresponsive, batteries are the first thing to check. Install fresh batteries of the correct type.
- Make sure batteries are inserted correctly, observing proper polarity. They won’t work if reversed.
- Batteries that appear good may still have low voltage. Replace them as a test if remote is glitchy.
- For unresponsive buttons, check contacts for corrosion or damage that prevents connections.
- Try cleaning battery contacts gently with rubbing alcohol in case of buildup causing problems.
- If batteries drain extremely quickly, there could be a current leak caused by damage to the remote or fluid getting inside.
- For non-waterproof remotes, moisture corrosion can prevent batteries from making contact.
- Check for damage to battery covers or compartments that may allow exposure to moisture.
Keeping spare batteries on hand and inserting them correctly prevents the majority of power issues with Roku TV remotes. But for hardware problems affecting battery connections, replacement may be the permanent solution.
Why is My Roku TV Remote Not Syncing After Updates?
One common problem owners run into is the Roku TV remote refusing to sync and operate the TV after a major firmware update. There are a few reasons this can happen:
- Updates can sometimes disrupt the paired connection between remote and TV. Re-pairing often fixes it.
- For a remote to work properly, both the TV and remote may need firmware updates to stay in sync.
- Power cycling equipment forces a full reboot which can clear glitches following an update. Unplug the TV and remove remote batteries for 2 minutes.
- If re-pairing fails repeatedly, a factory reset of the Roku TV clears any system corruption preventing connectivity.
- Damaged hardware like IR sensors, though rare, can also cause syncing issues if problems coincide with a firmware update installation.
Staying current on Roku TV and remote updates reduces the chances of sync problems tremendously. But if your remote stops working after an update, focus on repairing the pairing connection or resetting affected equipment to restore functionality.
How to Fix Onn Roku TV Remote Button Responsiveness
Besides battery problems, buttons that stop responding properly are the chief complaint with Roku TV remotes. Try these troubleshooting steps to get those buttons clicking again:
- Inspect keypad for dirt, sticky residues or damage that could impede button function. Clean gently with isopropyl alcohol.
- Check inside rubber keycaps for grime buildup or torn membranes. Clean or replace caps.
- Press buttons multiple times to break through any stuck contacts or lodged debris.
- If hardware damage isn’t obvious, updating remote firmware could help fix software glitches causing issues.
- For advanced DIY-ers, interior electronics cleaner sprayed under keypads can clear stuck contacts to temporarily improve function.
- As a last resort, replacement is the ultimate fix for worn or damaged remote button mechanisms and contacts.
While dirt and damage are threats to button responsiveness, don’t overlook firmware as a cause. Updates can fix button glitches and get things clicking again without taking apart your remote.
Remote Signal Problems? Fix Your Onn Roku TV IR Issues
If your Onn Roku TV remote randomly stops communicating with the TV, infrared signal issues are likely to blame. Try these troubleshooting steps:
- Check for dirt or obstructions covering the IR sensor on your TV. Gently clean with a microfiber cloth.
- Make sure batteries are fresh and fully charged. Weak batteries equal a weaker signal.
- Ensure there’s clear line-of-sight between remote and TV sensor. Move objects out of the path.
- Rule out interference by dimming bulbs, turning off LEDs and moving devices away from the TV.
- If battery replacement and clearing obstructions doesn’t improve things, replace the remote.
- For older TVs, the IR sensor hardware may need replacement if it’s no longer receiving signals properly.
While most IR problems stem from batteries or blockages, don’t overlook interference. Ambient light and electronics in the path between remote and TV can wreak havoc on signal reception. With attention to positioning and eliminating interference, most IR issues can be remedied without replacing components.
Onn Roku TV Remote Replacement Options
If troubleshooting fails to restore your remote’s functionality, replacement is the next step. Here are your options:
Buy the same model – Match your original remote model number exactly for guaranteed compatibility. Check the battery cover or owner’s manual.
Universal Roku remote – Aftermarket universal Roku remotes work with most models and start around $15-20.
Onn replacement remote – Check their site or local retailer for replacement Onn branded Roku TV remotes if needed.
Alternative new remote – You can buy affordable replacement remotes designed for Roku TVs from Pwr+, Inteset and other major brands.
Roku app – Roku’s free app for iOS and Android functions as a smart remote with full voice features.
Used/refurbished remote – Search eBay or other sites for used versions of your exact remote model if needed.
Getting an affordable replacement Roku TV remote is usually pretty straightforward. Just be sure to match the capabilities and features of your original. With universal remotes and smartphone apps providing additional options, restore functionality promptly.
Roku TV Remote Not Working After Update – What To Do
One common issue owners encounter is the Roku TV remote refusing to work immediately after a major system update. There are a few ways to get functionality restored:
- Re-pair the remote through the on-screen menus if possible. Updates can disrupt the connection.
- If pairing fails, power cycle the TV by unplugging it and remote by removing batteries for 2 minutes minimum.
- Check support pages for both TV and remote to see if additional firmware updates are available. Install any needed.
- Factory reset the TV if you’re unable to get the remote paired or operational after multiple tries. This clears glitches.
- Make sure batteries are fresh and correctly installed before further troubleshooting.
- If hardware damage occurred coinciding with an update, replacement of damaged parts like sensors may be needed.
While rare, remotes and TVs refusing to communicate after a Roku update is fixable in most cases without replacements being needed. Focus on repairing the connection and resetting components to restore functionality.
On Roku TVs like models from Onn, remote control issues can be frustrating. But whether it’s battery problems, physical damage, obstructions blocking signal, or loss of pairing, the situation is often fixable with some simple troubleshooting techniques.
Focus first on the most likely culprits like depleted batteries, dirty buttons, blocked sensors, and repairing the paired connection. Updating remote and TV software can also clear up many glitches and get things working again.
In worst case scenarios requiring replacement, Onn Roku TV remotes are inexpensive fixes available from multiple retailers. With the right troubleshooting approach and persistence, most common problems with unresponsive and uncooperative Roku remotes can be resolved and restore your home entertainment experience.
Frequently Asked Questions About Onn Roku TV Remote Problems
Having trouble with your Onn Roku TV’s remote? Here are answers to some frequently asked questions:
Why did my Onn Roku TV remote stop working suddenly?
The most common causes of sudden remote failure are dead batteries, physical damage from drops, objects blocking the IR sensor, loss of pairing, and software glitches. Check batteries first and then troubleshoot other possible issues systematically.
How do I re-pair my Onn Roku TV remote?
In the TV settings menu, look for options like remote set-up, manage remotes, or pairing. Follow the on-screen steps to put the TV into pairing mode and sync your remote again. Consult manual if unsure.
I changed the batteries and my Onn Roku remote still doesn’t work. What should I try next?
Make sure batteries are correctly oriented and try multiple brands. Also check for physical damage, clean dirty buttons, update remote software, re-pair it, and ensure IR sensor is clear of obstructions. If issues persist, a replacement may be needed.
Why won’t my Onn Roku remote turn on my TV?
Ensure batteries are fresh and installed correctly. TV HDMI CEC settings should be On so TV associates power commands from the remote. If not, enable CEC through the TV’s system menus. Also check for physical remote damage and clear sensor obstructions.
How can I control my Onn Roku TV if the remote stopped working?
You can control the TV through the Roku mobile app, use a universal remote paired to it, or connect another streaming device like a Roku stick temporarily until you replace or repair the original remote.
Why is my Roku TV not responding to the remote?
Some common reasons a Roku TV may not respond to the remote include weak batteries, remote not being synced/paired, interference from other devices, obstruction between the remote and IR sensor, outdated remote or TV software, and hardware issues with the remote or TV. Try new batteries, resyncing the remote, eliminating interference, checking for obstructions, updating software, and inspecting the remote sensor.
What to do when your onn remote is not working?
If your Onn Roku TV remote is not working, first try replacing the batteries. Also check for any obstructions between the remote and IR sensor on the TV. Try re-pairing or syncing the remote with the TV by pressing the pairing button. Update remote and TV software and firmware. As a last resort, you may need to get a replacement Onn remote or use the Roku mobile app.
How do I reset my unresponsive Roku remote?
To reset an unresponsive Roku remote, locate the small reset button on the back of the remote near the battery compartment. Press and hold the reset button for up to 10 seconds until the activity light on the remote blinks. This will reset and re-pair the remote. You can also remove the batteries for 30 seconds to reset the remote.
How do you force reset a Roku remote?
To force reset a Roku remote, press and hold the pairing button on the remote while also pressing and holding the power button. Keep both buttons held down for about 10-15 seconds until the remote LED blinks a few times. This will force a factory reset and re-pair the remote with your device.
How do I pair my Roku remote?
To pair your Roku remote, turn on the TV and Roku player. Press and hold the pairing button on the back of the remote for 3-4 seconds until the remote LED blinks. The remote will automatically pair. You can also go to Settings > Remotes > Pair new remote and follow the TV prompts.
The reset button on Onn brand Roku remotes is located on the back of the remote near the bottom. It is a small circular button next to the battery compartment. Press and hold it for 5-10 seconds to reset the remote.
Why won’t my Roku remote turn up?
If your Roku remote is not turning on, the most likely issue is that the batteries need to be replaced. Check that you are using fresh batteries in the remote. Also make sure there is no obstruction between the remote and Roku device, and that the remote is properly paired/synced to the device.
How do I turn on a Roku TV without the remote?
If your Roku remote is lost or not working, you can turn on your Roku TV using the power button on the TV itself. You can also control basic functions like volume and input selection using the buttons on the TV. Alternatively, install the Roku mobile app on your smartphone to use as a remote.
The reset button on a Roku remote is located on the backside near the bottom, right next to the battery compartment. It is a small circular button. Press and hold it for 10 seconds to reset the remote. Some Roku devices also have a reset pinhole on the bottom or back panel.
How do you reset an Onn Roku TV?
To reset an Onn brand Roku TV, press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for about 10-15 seconds until the TV reboots. You can also go to Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Factory Reset option to reset from the menu.
Why is my Roku not working?
Some common reasons a Roku may not be working include outdated software/firmware, WiFi connectivity issues, power supply problems, faulty HDMI connections, remote not paired, overheating issues, and hardware damage. Try basic troubleshooting like power cycling, reconnecting cables, restarting router, or factory reset.
Does Roku have a factory reset?
Yes, Roku devices have a factory reset option to restore them to default settings. On the remote, go to Settings > System > Advanced Systems Settings > Factory Reset. This will reset the Roku player back to its original out-of-the-box state. You’ll have to re-enter your accounts afterwards.
Does Roku have a reboot?
Roku devices do not have a dedicated reboot button, but you can reboot a Roku by going to Settings > System > Power > System restart. You can also reboot by unplugging the power cord for 10-15 seconds before plugging it back in. The device will restart itself.
Unfortunately you cannot reprogram or remap the default buttons on a standard Roku remote. However, some universal remotes and the Roku mobile app allow you to customize the button mappings. There are also third-party Roku remotes that may offer button remapping.
Can you connect Roku TV without remote?
Yes, you can connect and use a Roku TV without the remote by using the Roku mobile app for iOS or Android. Download the app, sign into your Roku account, and you can control the TV right from your phone. The TV also has buttons to control power, volume, and inputs.
Why is my TCL Roku remote not working?
If your TCL Roku TV remote is not working, first ensure the batteries are installed correctly and are not drained. Also check for obstructions between the remote and IR sensor on the TV. Try re-pairing the remote by pressing and holding the pairing button. Check for firmware updates and restart the TV. If issue persists, you may need a replacement remote.
How can I use Roku without WIFI and remote?
Without WiFi or a remote, you have limited options for using Roku. You can connect devices via HDMI and use the Roku as a basic streaming player. Some functions like power, volume, and inputs can be controlled with the buttons on the Roku player itself. You’ll need WiFi and remote for full functionality.
Can you control Roku with phone?
Yes, you can download the free Roku app on your iOS or Android phone to control your Roku device remotely. After linking the app to your Roku account, you can browse channels, launch videos, control playback, search content, and more right from your phone.
Is there a universal Roku remote?
There are several universal remote options that are compatible with Roku devices such as Logitech Harmony remotes, Sofabaton remotes, and the Sideclick attachment which adds programmable buttons. These can control Roku functions along with other devices connected to your TV.
Is there an online Roku remote?
Roku does offer an online remote control option at my.roku.com that can be accessed on a web browser. This allows you to control your Roku over the internet similar to the mobile app remote, but through the computer.
How do I connect my phone to my Roku?
Download the Roku app on your iOS or Android phone. Open the app and select “Add device”. Choose your Roku model and sign in with your Roku account. The app will automatically find and link to your Roku device, allowing you to control it directly from the phone.
What is the code for Onn Roku TV?
Unfortunately Onn Roku TVs do not use universal remote codes. You will need to use the included Onn Roku TV remote or download the Roku mobile app to control Onn brand Roku TVs, as they do not support programming with other universal remotes.
Can I replace Roku remote?
Yes, you can replace a Roku remote or pair a new one. Buy a replacement Roku remote and pair it by pressing and holding the pairing button. Universal remotes like Logitech Harmony also work. You can also use smartphone apps like Roku app to control your device remotely.
Can any remote work with Roku?
No, not every remote is compatible with Roku. But many popular universal remotes like Logitech Harmony and Sofabaton can control Roku devices. Look for Roku compatibility before purchasing a universal remote. The Roku mobile app also essentially functions as a remote.
How do I sync my tv remote to my roku tv?
Press the home button on your Roku TV remote and the home button on the non-Roku remote you want to sync. Hold both buttons down simultaneously for about 3 seconds until the remotes are paired. You may need to repeat this process anytime you replace batteries. Refer to the instruction manuals for details.
Why is my roku tv remote not connecting?
If your Roku TV remote is not connecting, first try replacing the batteries. Check for any obstructions between the remote and IR sensor on the TV. Go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Pair new device and follow the prompts to re-pair the remote. If issues persist, you may need to purchase a replacement remote.
How do I re-pair my roku remote?
To re-pair your Roku remote, first press the pairing button located on the back of the remote and hold for 3-4 seconds. The remote light will blink. Then go to Settings > Remotes > Pair new remote on your Roku TV and follow the on-screen instructions to sync the remote.
Why does my roku remote keep losing connection?
Some common reasons a Roku remote may keep losing its connection include low batteries, interference from other devices, obstacles blocking the signal path, a damaged remote antenna, outdated software/firmware, or the remote and Roku device being too far apart. Try replacing batteries, eliminating interference, updating software, and keeping the remote closer to pair it.
How do I fix my roku remote not working?
If your Roku remote is not working, try replacing the batteries first. Check for any obstructions blocking the IR signal. Press the pairing button on the remote for 3-4 seconds to re-sync it. Update your Roku software and remote firmware. Inspect the remote sensor on the Roku device. As a last resort, you may need to purchase a replacement remote if hardware issues are suspected.
Why does my roku remote have a red light?
A flashing red light on a Roku remote usually indicates low battery power. Try replacing the batteries in the remote with a fresh pair. Alkaline batteries are recommended for the longest battery life. The red light serves as an indicator to let you know the batteries are drained and need to be changed soon.
How do I troubleshoot my Roku remote?
Some steps to troubleshoot a Roku remote include:
- Check/replace batteries
- Re-pair remote by pressing sync button
- Eliminate obstructions blocking signal path
- Update remote and Roku device software
- Try using remote right next to player
- Inspect remote sensor and antenna
- Listen for pairing confirmation sound
- Use remote finder function on Roku
- Factory reset remote and device
- Try alternate control methods like mobile app
- Purchase replacement remote if needed
Why is my Roku frozen?
If your Roku device is frozen, some common reasons may include outdated software, too many apps running, WiFi connectivity issues, power interruptions, overheating issues, or general software crashes. Try rebooting the device by unplugging the power for 10-15 seconds. Also double check your software is up-to-date and apps are force closed.
How do I fix Roku when it freezes?
Here are some troubleshooting tips for fixing a frozen Roku:
- Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds to force a reboot
- Unplug the power cable for 10-15 seconds then reconnect to reboot
- Check for firmware or app updates and install latest versions
- Clear cached data and unused channels/apps from the Roku
- Use the Roku mobile app to restart device remotely
- Factory reset the Roku device if freezing persists
- Check WiFi connection and router performance
- Make sure ventilation around the Roku is not obstructed
- Disable and enable HDMI device link setting
- Contact Roku support if freezing continues after trying these steps
Why does my Roku keep buffering?
Some common causes of constant buffering on Roku include:
- Poor WiFi signal strength. Check signal near Roku and router.
- Too many devices using bandwidth on the network.
- Outdated Roku software/channels. Update to latest versions.
- Slow internet speeds from ISP. Test internet speeds directly on Roku.
- HDMI cable loose or faulty. Reseat cables or swap for new one.
- App issues like Netflix or Hulu buffering. Restart the specific channel.
- Overheating causing performance issues. Ensure proper ventilation.
How do I get my Roku to stop buffering?
To get your Roku to stop buffering:
- Check WiFi signal strength near the Roku and move it closer to router
- Close any unused apps running in the background
- Restart the Roku device and router
- Update the Roku software, channels, and streaming apps
- If on WiFi, try using wired ethernet connection instead
- Limit streaming resolution to 720p if buffering on 1080 or 4K
- Disable auto quality adjustment setting in channel settings
- Clear cached data and remove unused channels
- Check if internet speeds from ISP meet minimum requirements
- Factory reset the Roku device to clear any software bugs