The Starz streaming app is a popular way for viewers to watch Starz original programming, movies, and more on various devices. However, sometimes the Starz app fails to work properly, resulting in playback issues, error messages, or the inability to login or access content.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover the most common Starz app problems users experience and provide troubleshooting steps to get you back up and streaming again. Whether the issue is on Roku, Firestick, mobile, or another platform, we have tips to fix the Starz app not working.
Why Is My Starz App Not Working?
There are a variety of reasons why the Starz app may suddenly stop working correctly, including:
- App performance issues – The app is glitchy, crashes frequently, buffers excessively or won’t load content. This could be due to a recent app update bug or connectivity problems.
- Authentication errors – Problems logging into the Starz app with your username/password credentials. This is often a temporary issue on Starz’s authentication servers.
- Device incompatibility – The Starz app is not supported on your particular streaming device model or OS version. The app may need to be updated.
- Internet connectivity issues – Slow speeds, WiFi dead zones, and ISP outages can all disrupt the Starz app from working properly.
- Account subscription problems – If your Starz subscription expires or payment fails, you may lose access to the app.
- Regional restrictions – Content licensing means certain shows/movies are only available in certain countries. VPN use can also cause conflicts.
- Temporary service outage – Periodic issues with Starz’s streaming servers can cause service disruptions. Often resolves itself.
Many Starz app problems are easy to fix by just re-authenticating or ensuring your device is connected to the internet. Other times, an app or firmware update is needed. We’ll walk through the most common issues and troubleshooting below.
Troubleshooting Starz App Problems on Roku
Roku devices are one of the most popular platforms for accessing the Starz app. But playback failures, error messages, and problems loading the app can quickly ruin your viewing experience. Here are some top troubleshooting tips for fixing Starz on Roku:
Restart Your Roku Device
A simple device restart is the easiest first troubleshooting step for any Roku issues. Press the reset pinhole button on the back of your Roku player for 10 seconds to restart it. Then relaunch the Starz app to see if the issues persist.
Check Your Internet Connection
Streaming problems with Starz are often due to network connectivity problems. Use the network connection menu in Roku settings to test if your Roku device can properly access the internet. Slow speeds or wireless interference can disrupt streaming.
Update Your Roku Device Software
Keeping your Roku device software up-to-date is key to ensuring compatibility with streaming apps like Starz. Go to Settings > System > System Update to install the latest firmware. New updates sometimes address Starz streaming problems.
Reinstall the Starz App
Deleting and reinstalling the Starz channel/app is a quick fix for any app-specific glitches. Navigate to Settings > Apps > Starz and select Uninstall. Then reinstall Starz from the Roku Channel Store.
Clear the Roku Cache
Over time, corrupted data in your Roku cache can cause apps like Starz to malfunction. Clearing the cache can get the app working again. Hold down the Roku home button, Up button, and Rewind button for 10 seconds to clear cache.
Log Out and Re-authenticate
Sometimes the Starz app fails to verify your subscription properly. Logging out and then logging back in with your credentials can resolve authentication issues.
Double Check Account Subscription Status
You’ll be unable to access the Starz app if your account subscription has expired. Check that your monthly or annual Starz membership is still active and you’ve entered the right login info.
With these basic troubleshooting steps, you should be able to resolve most common Starz app problems encountered on Roku streaming devices.
Troubleshooting the Starz App on Fire TV
Like Roku, Amazon Fire TV products are quite popular for accessing top streaming apps. But Firestick, Fire TV Cube, and Fire Tablet users may also experience Starz app technical difficulties from time to time. Here’s how to troubleshoot Fire TV issues:
Restart Your Fire TV Device
If the Starz app is not loading or videos won’t play, try restarting your Fire TV product. Press and hold the select and play/pause buttons for 10 seconds. This refreshed the device and often fixes app issues.
Check Your Internet Connection
Your Fire TV device relies on a stable internet connection for streaming. Use the network settings to test connectivity. Reboot your router if needed or try connecting via ethernet instead of WiFi for faster, more reliable speeds.
Install Any Available App Updates
Buggy app performance is sometimes caused by outdated software. Go to Settings > Applications > Starz to check for available app updates. Install the latest Starz app from the Amazon App Store.
Uninstall and Reinstall the App
Corrupted data can prevent the Starz app from working correctly. Uninstall the app from your Fire TV device, restart, then install the Starz app again from the Amazon App Store.
Log Out and Log Back In
Login and authentication problems can often be resolved by manually logging out of the Starz app, closing it, and restarting the app to log back in using your credentials.
Verify Subscription Status
You can’t access the Starz app if your subscription has lapsed. Check your Starz account details to ensure your membership is still valid and logging in with the correct email and password.
Following this Fire TV troubleshooting guide should help you get Starz working again in no time. Reach out to Starz customer support if issues persist.
Fixing Starz App Issues on Mobile Devices
You can also access the full Starz streaming library on iOS and Android mobile devices. But app glitches, freezes, and playback failures can quickly spoil the experience. Try these troubleshooting tips for mobile:
Update the App
Buggy app performance is often fixed by downloading the latest Starz app update for your iPhone, iPad, or Android device. Search for Starz in the App or Play Store to install updates.
Restart Your Mobile Device
Power cycling your smartphone or tablet can clear out any corrupted cache/data causing issues. Restart your mobile device and launch the Starz app again.
Reinstall the App
A clean reinstallation of the Starz app may be needed if glitches or technical issues persist. Delete and redownload the app from your device’s app store.
Ensure Strong WiFi/Cellular Connection
Streaming problems arise from poor connectivity. Use Speedtest to check your download speeds. Connect via strong WiFi or switch to cellular data if needed. Disable VPN connections.
Log Out and Log Back In
Sometimes the Starz app fails to verify your login status properly. Log out and log back in with your Starz username and password to re-authenticate.
Verify Valid Subscription
You can’t stream Starz content without an active subscription. Check your account status in the Starz app or website to confirm your membership is still valid.
Resetting the app, testing speeds, and reinstalling updates typically gets mobile Starz streaming working again quickly. Contact Starz support if issues remain unresolved.
Starz App Not Working on Smart TVs – Fixes
Smart TV platforms like Samsung, LG, Vizio, and more also provide access to the Starz app. But various technical issues can arise when streaming Starz on your smart television. Here are some smart TV troubleshooting tips:
Restart Your Smart TV
A simple device restart can clear up many temporary app issues. Power off your smart TV, unplug it for 30 seconds, then restart. Relaunch the Starz app afterwards.
Ensure Strong Internet Connection
Your smart TV relies on stable home internet access for streaming. Slow speeds will disrupt playback. Connect via ethernet if possible or position your router closer to your TV.
Check for App Updates
Buggy Starz app performance may be fixed by installing the latest update. Check your TV settings for available app updates. Keeping the Starz app up-to-date can prevent issues.
Delete and Reinstall the App
Deleting and reinstalling a glitchy app often resolves runtime errors. Uninstall the Starz app from your TV’s app management settings menu, then reinstall.
Log Out and Log Back In
Sometimes the Starz app fails to verify your login credentials properly. Log out and then log back in with your username and password to re-authenticate.
Verify Valid Subscription Access
You can’t access Starz content without an active subscription. Ensure your membership is still valid and you’re logging in with the proper credentials.
With these tips, you can troubleshoot many common Starz app problems on smart TVs. Contact Starz or your TV manufacturer for further support if needed.
Why Does the Starz App Keep Buffering?
Frequent buffering and video interruptions are one of the most annoying Starz app issues. Getting stuck on a loading screen disrupts the viewing experience. Here are some reasons the Starz app may keep buffering and how to fix it:
- Poor internet connection – Slow WiFi speeds or ISP outages will disrupt buffering. Connect devices via ethernet or reboot your router.
- High video resolution – Streaming 4K/HD content requires more bandwidth. Lower video resolution settings in the app.
- Too many concurrent streams – Multiple users streaming simultaneously can exceed connection speeds. Limit devices using Starz.
- App needs updated – An outdated Starz app can cause buffering issues. Download the latest app updates.
- Server traffic – During peak hours, increased traffic to Starz servers can slow buffering. Try streaming during off-peak hours.
- Device connectivity issues – Problems with your streaming device’s network adapters or congested WiFi bands will disrupt Starz. Move devices closer to your router or reboot.
- ISP throttling – Some ISPs intentionally throttle streaming traffic speeds. Use a VPN to bypass these throttling practices if needed.
Adjusting video resolution, limiting concurrent streams, and updating your Starz app version typically resolves most buffering issues. Contact Starz support if problems continue.
Fixing Starz App Content Not Available Errors
Another common and frustrating Starz error message occurs when trying to select a show or movie to stream, only to see a “content not available” notice. Why might this occur, and how can you access the desired content?
- Regional restrictions – Licensing means some content may only be available in certain countries. A VPN may help bypass geo-blocks.
- Temporary playback issue – Glitches in Starz’s servers sometimes temporarily disrupt certain content. Try again later.
- Platform limitations – Some Starz content may only be accessible on certain streaming platforms due to rights.
- App needs updated – An outdated Starz app may fail to load newer content options. Install app updates.
- Account subscription status – Certain programming requires higher-tier Starz subscriptions. Upgrade your account access.
- Internet connectivity – Spotty connections disrupt content availability. Check speeds and reboot router if needed.
- Invalid credentials – Wrong login details will restrict account access. Re-enter username/password.
- Too many streams – Starz limits simultaneous streams. Log out other devices to free up access.
- Still airing live – Trying to access live content before it finishes airing will show unavailable errors.
Logging out and back into your Starz account often resolves content access and availability issues. Confirm your subscription status also provides the needed content permissions.
Starz App Problems After Recent Update
A new app update is supposed to add features and improve performance. But sometimes a recent Starz app update causes new technical problems instead, such as:
- Increase in error messages
- Login failures
- Playback failures and buffering
- Content missing or “unavailable”
- App crashing / freezing up
- Difficulty downloading update
When major app bugs appear after an update, downgrading or reinstalling the previous app version is recommended:
- iOS – Go to App Store > Account > Purchase History, download previous iOS version
- Android – Disable auto-update in Play Store, find APK of previous version online
- Roku – Manually install older version sent via email from Roku
- Fire TV – Download old version from AFTVNews APK Downloader website
- Smart TVs – Uninstall update and revert to previous factory installed version in app settings
Preview release notes before installing Starz app updates to stay on older, more stable versions until significant bugs are fixed in newer releases.
Contacting Starz Customer Service for App Support
If you continue experiencing Starz app technical difficulties even after trying all recommended troubleshooting steps, your last resort is contacting Starz customer service directly to get additional support resolving the issues:
- US & Canada: 1-855-744-8493
- Latin America: 1-800-660-5073
- Navigate to Help & FAQs section to contact support
- Send Starz App a DM on Twitter @Starz or @StarzHelp
When contacting Starz support, provide as many key details as possible, including:
- What device/platform are you using?
- Specific error messages appearing
- Screenshots of the issue
- Troubleshooting steps you’ve tried already
- Whether the issue is account-related or app performance
Starz technicians can further assist with identifying server-side issues, initiating password resets, troubleshooting authentication problems, advising app reinstalls, and escalating for engineering fixes. They can also offer account subscription support.
With help from Starz customer service staff, even the trickiest Starz app problems can typically be resolved. Be sure to also keep the app updated to the latest version.
With the wide range of streaming devices and platforms available, Starz app issues like loading failures, playback errors, login problems, blank screens, app crashes, and buffering can happen from time to time and disrupt your viewing experience.
By troubleshooting your internet connectivity, restarting your device, reinstalling app updates, logging in and out of Starz, verifying account status, and contacting customer service, you can get to the bottom of most Starz app problems and get back to streaming your favorite movies and originals in no time.
Top 10 FAQs About Starz App Issues
1. Why does the Starz app keep showing spinning/loading icons?
Excessive spinning wheel indicators while using the Starz app usually signify connectivity issues or temporary server outages. Restart your device and router, test speeds, and retry loading content later.
2. How do I fix playback failures and video not working errors?
Reinstall app updates, delete/reinstall the app, log out and back in, and ensure your subscription is valid to resolve most playback issues. Slow internet can also disrupt videos.
3. Why does Starz video keep freezing and buffering?
Buffering is typically caused by shaky internet connections. Connect via ethernet, limit devices using your internet, lower video resolution in Starz settings, or try streaming during off-peak hours.
4. Why does Starz say my login credentials are invalid?
Double check your username/password is entered correctly. Log out and log back in to re-authenticate. Reset your password via email if forgotten. Ensure your subscription is active.
5. How do I troubleshoot Starz app problems on my iPhone/iPad?
On iOS mobile devices, restart your device, reinstall app updates, delete/reinstall the app, ensure strong WiFi/cellular signal, and log out and log back in.
Regional restrictions, platform limitations, subscription access, internet issues, server outages, or logging in to the wrong account can prevent accessing certain video content on Starz.
7. How can I fix Starz app issues on my Samsung/LG smart TV?
For smart TVs, restart device, check for app updates, reinstall the app, move TV closer to router, and sign out and back in. Slow internet disrupts streaming.
8. How do I troubleshoot Starz not working on my Firestick?
On Fire TV devices, restart your device, test internet speeds, install app updates, uninstall/reinstall the app, log out and log back in, and confirm valid subscription status.
9. Why does the Starz channel keep disappearing from my Roku?
If the Starz channel vanishes from your Roku home screen, sign out and back into your Roku account. Reinstall the Starz app from the Roku store and restart the device.
10. What should I do if Starz app issues persist after troubleshooting?
Contact Starz customer service by phone, email, or social media for additional troubleshooting help and support if you still cannot resolve Starz app technical problems after trying all recommended steps.