Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (MW2) is one of the most anticipated video game releases of 2022. As a sequel to 2019’s Modern Warfare, it brings back the entertaining multiplayer experience that Call of Duty is known for. However, some players have encountered issues with MW2’s online features like the crossplay friends list not working properly. This article will dive into the “Failed fetching crossplay friends list” error and provide potential fixes to get your friends list back up and running.
Understanding the MW2 Friends List Not Working Issue
The crossplay friends list feature allows you to see your friends on different gaming platforms like PlayStation, Xbox and PC in one unified list. This makes it easy to group up and play together, which is a big part of the fun in multiplayer games like Call of Duty.
However, many Modern Warfare 2 players have reported getting the error “Failed fetching crossplay friends list” which prevents this feature from working properly. Some of the common problems include:
- Friends list not populating at all
- Friends showing as offline when they are online
- Inability to join or invite friends to games
- General disconnects and errors when accessing the friends list
This ends up ruining the crossplay experience which MW2 heavily advertises as a feature. Not being able to squad up with your buddies can prevent you from fully enjoying MW2’s multiplayer.
The good news is developers Infinity Ward are investigating the friends list issues. They have acknowledged the problem on Reddit and Twitter, so hopefully an official fix will come in a patch update soon. In the meantime, there are a few workarounds players have found that may resolve the friends list error.
Restarting the Game
One of the simplest fixes that has worked for some MW2 players is completely restarting the game. Here are the steps:
- Force quit Modern Warfare 2 if it is currently running. On PC you can press Alt + F4 or click the X in the top right corner. On console, use the dashboard to close the game.
- Open the Battle.net desktop app if you are on PC. For Xbox or PlayStation, make sure the console is fully powered on.
- Launch Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 again as normal.
- Once you’re back in the main menu, try accessing the Social tab and see if your friends list populates.
Restarting seems to refresh the connection and fix any temporary glitches that may occur. While not a guaranteed fix, it’s quick and easy to try. Make sure to fully reload the game and give it minute or two to reconnect.
Checking Your Network Bug Settings
Connectivity issues are commonly to blame for friends list and online gaming problems. Here are some things you can check in terms of your network:
- Restart your router and modem – Give them a quick reboot by unplugging them for 20-30 seconds. This will clear out any glitches.
- Check your router firmware – Make sure your router firmware is updated to the latest version. Outdated software can cause connectivity issues.
- Enable UPnP – UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) allows devices like your console or PC to automatically open the correct ports on your router. Having UPnP enabled improves connectivity.
- Open ports – If you are comfortable manually forwarding ports, open the standard ports Call of Duty uses: 3074, 27014-27050. This can further improve connectivity.
- Disable VPNs/firewalls – Anti-virus software and VPNs can sometimes interfere with games. Temporarily disabling them may help if you have connectivity problems.
- Check ISP for issues – Contact your Internet Service Provider and ask if there are any known issues in your area. Temporary outages do happen.
- Test with ethernet – If possible, connect your platform directly to your router with an ethernet cable instead of using WiFi. Ethernet provides faster, more stable connectivity.
- Check console network settings – On Xbox and PlayStation, check the detailed network settings. Switch from WiFi to ethernet, test your NAT type, and run a connection test to see if there are any problems reported.
Taking the time to optimize your network setup is worthwhile as it can prevent a wide range of online gaming issues. A stable, fast internet connection will provide the best experience in MW2.
Performing a Clean Reinstall
If your friends list is persistently not working, a clean reinstall of Modern Warfare 2 may fix underlying software issues. Here are the steps:
- Open the Battle.net app and click the Settings icon next to “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II”
- Choose Uninstall to remove the game completely.
- Restart your PC.
- Reopen the Battle.net app and install Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II again.
- Once installed, launch the game and try loading into multiplayer.
- Press the Xbox button and go to My Games & Apps in the sidebar
- Press the Menu button on Modern Warfare 2 and select Uninstall
- Restart your Xbox
- Insert the MW2 disc or re-download it from the Microsoft Store
- Install the game again and test if the friends list works
- Go to Settings > Storage > Games and select Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
- Choose Delete to uninstall
- Power your PS4/PS5 fully off then back on
- Reinsert the MW2 disc or download it again from the PS Store
- Try accessing friends list after reinstalling
This will wipe your MW2 install folder clean, reinstall fresh files, and potentially fix any corrupted data that may be interfering with connectivity features like the friends list.
Contacting Activision Support
If all else fails, get in touch with Activision’s customer support team:
- Support website – You can submit a request directly on Activision’s support site. Provide details and any error codes.
- Phone – Call 1-310-255-2000 to speak with an Activision agent. Have your platform and game info handy.
- Twitter – The Activision Support Twitter account can provide assistance or escalate issues. Send them a DM.
- Community forums – The Activision support forum has sections for MW2 where you can find help.
Providing as many specifics as possible will help Activision properly investigate and resolve the problem. They may be able to recover lost data or provide you with replacement unlocks if your progression was impacted. Persistence and patience is key when dealing with tech support.
Using a Gaming VPN (ExitLag, KillPing, etc)
Gaming VPNs or connection optimization services like ExitLag and KillPing can potentially help stabilize your MW2 multiplayer connection. These types of services route your traffic through optimized gaming networks to reduce latency and lag.
If the built-in matchmaking is giving you issues, using a gaming VPN may help discover better server routes and keep your ping low and stable in matches. While not guaranteed to fix the friends list specifically, improved connectivity can prevent many multiplayer issues.
Some VPNs offer free trials so you can test them out before paying. It may be worth giving gaming VPNs a shot to see if they provide a smoother online experience in MW2.
Waiting for an Official Patch
Infinity Ward has confirmed they are investigating the friends list bug and crossplay issues. It is likely the problem will be addressed in an upcoming patch or hotfix.
Periodically check the MW2 Trello board where the dev team tracks known issues. When a patch is pushed that mentions fixes for friends and crossplay, make sure to install it and then check if it resolved your problems.
As a newly launched game, some teething issues are expected. The developers routinely release updates to smooth out the multiplayer experience and fix prevalent bugs. Be patient and keep an eye out for patches that relate to crossplay and the friends system.
Removing Anti-Lag Software
There are some reports of anti-lag programs like ExitLag interfering with the friends list in MW2. If you have any type of anti-lag or latency reduction software running, try exiting or uninstalling it. Reboot your machine and test if the friends list works properly without the anti-lag program enabled.
These types of utilities hook into games in a deeper way to reduce ping, which may disrupt MW2’s social features. If removing your anti-lag software fixes the issue, you can look into technical workarounds or wait for compatibility updates from the software vendor.
Using a Different Activision Account
As a last resort, attempt to sign into MW2 using a different Activision account if possible. Create a new free account and link your platform to it. Launch MW2 and sign in with the fresh account instead.
See if the friends list functions normally when used with the new Activision ID. If so, the issues are isolated to your main account and Support can specifically investigate that. Provide them with details on the comparison you did.
This method isolates the issue down to account level problems versus general game bugs. Narrowing down where the friends list failure is occurring is helpful for troubleshooting.
Connectivity with friends is a huge part of the enjoyment of any Call of Duty title. Not being able to team up with your buddies can seriously damper the MW2 experience. Thankfully, Infinity Ward is working diligently on a proper fix for the “Failed fetching crossplay friends list” error and other related issues plaguing the social features.
In the meantime, there are tweaks you can test like restarting the game, optimizing your network, reinstalling the software, using a VPN and checking for patches. Getting in touch with Activision Support may also provide additional solutions. Keep an eye out for updates from Infinity Ward as well. With some patience and workarounds, you’ll be squad wiping and dominating Search and Destroy with your friends again soon.
FAQs on Fixing Modern Warfare 2 Friends List Issues
What exactly is the “Failed Fetching Crossplay Friends List” bug?
This is an error in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 that prevents the crossplay social features from working properly. Players are unable to view their full unified friends list with the error occurring.
Why can’t I see my friends online in MW2?
If your friends appear offline when they should be online, it is likely related to the friends list bug. The game is having trouble fetching their status from different platforms. A patch is needed to fix it.
How do I accept friend requests in MW2?
Due to the friends list issues, sending and receiving friend requests is currently impacted. Friend requests may fail to be sent or received. Wait for an official patch resolving the friends errors.
Why can’t I join my friend’s lobby and party in MW2?
The bug is affecting all social features including joining parties and game lobbies. A permanent fix from Infinity Ward is required to get crossplay friend integration working again.
Does the bug affect solo/singleplayer modes?
No, the issues seem isolated to online components like multiplayer and the social tabs. Solo Campaign modes are unaffected by the friends list errors.
Are Warzone 2 friends lists also affected?
Yes, since it shares social systems with MW2, Warzone 2 is experiencing the same “failed fetching friends list” bug at the moment.
How long until the MW2 friends list is fixed?
No ETA has been provided, but Infinity Ward is actively investigating. Check the MW2 Trello board for updates. Friends list patches should come in the near future.
Does this affect all platforms or just one?
The crossplay friends list issues appear to be occurring across PlayStation, Xbox, PC and Steam. All versions of the game are impacted.
Will my progression and unlocks be reset?
No, the bug only affects social features. Your progression, battle pass tiers, loadouts, etc. will remain intact when fixed.
Are party chat and text chat affected too?
Yes, those social features are closely tied to the friends system. Party chat, text chat, invites, etc. are also seeing disruptions.
Will a clean reinstall fix the friends list?
It may help isolate software issues, but likely requires a patch from the developers to fully fix. Reinstalling can occasionally resolve glitches though.